Monday, September 05, 2005

Katrina...the Deadly Lady!




Katrina.. what a pretty name for such a terrible monster! Almost all of you with a TV would no doubt have seen the heart-wrenching pictures of people stranded and dying and suffering and dead and lost and crying in the aftermath of Katrina. There are those who sympathize and there are those who believe America got what she deserved with all her self-righteousness and "I'm a super-power" arrogance. Whatever it maybe, Mother Nature's revenge or the Karma Balancer or just a freak of nature, these people are people like you and me and deserve all our support and help... we may not be able to do much, but we can send a prayer for them. Imagine my shock when I heard the news (NDTV) that Bangladesh (of all countries!) has contributed ONE MILLION US DOLLARS to help Katrina victims! God, I had to hang my head in shame! And I do hope the rulers and movers and shakers of America bow their head in humility...I also heard that the US has said a polite "No, thank you" to aid from other countries. Don't know if this is true, but if it is, just goes to show that a leopard can't change its spots! Well, I'd better end my tirade here before it gets out of hand.

If you'd like to read an alternative view on what could have been done differently in this scenario, read the post titled "When the Levee breaks...in the blog at: http://dakej.blogspot.com. This, although pretty strongly-worded, is very sensible and worth a read.

1 comment:

Pradeep Nair said...

I just can believe that something like 10,000 people could have died in a city, that too in America.