Thursday, August 25, 2005

Poetry at its finest

This is a a poem by "Oriah". Although I have read many a poem in my lifetime, this one touched my soul. Since it's quite a long poem, I've decided to retain here only those verses that really sang to my heart...

The Invitation

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living
I want to know what you ache for
and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
for love
for your dreams
for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me
is true.
I want to know if you can
disappoint another
to be true to yourself.

I want to know if you can live with failure
yours and mine
and still stand on the edge of the lake
and shout to the silver of the full moon,
"Yes."

It doesn't interest me
to know where you live or how much money you have.
It doesn't interest me who you know
or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand
in the center of the fire
with me
and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom
you have studied.
I want to know if you can be alone
with yourself
and if you truly like the company you keep
in the empty moments.

2 comments:

MidlifeCrisisDolmat said...

Unlike the two previous comments, this is not a spam comment.

This is a nice poem, I like it. I can't write a poem to save my life, but I can appreciate a good piece when I see one.

Nice blog you have here, dear miss.

Unknown said...

nice...just what i needed ..with the quotes above